All newly registered member are required to provide ONE (1) Introduction Topic and TWO (2) other interaction post within the Member Intro Section to gain access into other forum sections.

Post are subject to sgbTEAM approval

Trans Lives - Asian Voices

Old information that might not be valid.
ah^gao
sgbTEAM
sgbTEAM

Trans Lives - Asian Voices

Post by ah^gao » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 6:11 pm

Sam, a researcher at the University of Hong Kong and run the TransgenderASIA Centre >> http://web.hku.hk/~sjwinter/TransgenderASIA/index.htm, wrote me an email...

I am in the middle of a project that will add an Asian voice... an Asian transperson's voice, to the literature on transpeople and their experiences worldwide. The aim is to collect the life stories of transpeople all over Asia, as told by those people themselves.

I aim to put the life stories together into a book that will provide the world with more information on the nature of life for transpeople in Asia. It would be called 'Trans lives - Asian Voices'. It would aimed at activists, LBGT organisations and other NGOs, the UN, UNESCO, WHO, Human Rights Organisations, researchers and educators etc.

This book would be the only compilation of its kind -- giving transpeople across Asia an international voice to talk about experiences and reflect on their hopes and concerns. Any stories that could not be included in the book would (with the controbutors' permission) go onto the TransgenderASIA website.

Do you have any members of SgButterfly who are willing to tell their stories? They could tell their stories anonymously, protecting their identity.

They could tell their stories orally by way of a digital recording (which hey could send to me for transcription). I imagine a substantial life story might last around 30 minutes to one hour. Or they could write their life stories down, either in English or in another preferred language (I could arrange translation). I imagine a substantial written life story might be around 6 to 12 pages long, depending on the person writing and whether they are writing in Chinese or an alphabetic language. Again, I could arrange translation.

I believe this is a really exciting project. I believe it can inform people about the Asian experience of being trans and in reducing ignorance, reduce prejudice. It might therefore contribute to the lives of transpeople across Asia.

I do hope you can pass out this message to your membership, and ask anyone who is interested in telling or writing their life story to get in touch with me.

Sam

Those who are interested to the above project, please do not hesitate to write to Sam - sjwinter [at] hkusua [dot] hku [dot] hk
Daniel Kaw

I'm Not So Good At Advice; Can I Interest You With A Sarcastic Comment?
New In The Forum! Please Read SgB Forum Rules First.

ponnist

Re: Trans Lives - Asian Voices

Post by ponnist » Thu 01 Jul 2010, 8:01 pm

good work sam. It will tell the modern sexuality in a post historical view. keep going.
All the best.

Celestine
Egg
Egg

Post by Celestine » Wed 05 Jan 2011, 1:21 am

Hi there

I am interested to take up a PhD program with HKU to conduct a research in transgender issues in Asia. How could I get a scholarship or sponsorship?

I hold a Master of Education and I am also a MtoF transgender.

Please advise

Celestine
Singapore
teachlinguistics@gmail.com

ah^gao
sgbTEAM
sgbTEAM

Post by ah^gao » Wed 05 Jan 2011, 8:00 am

Follow the link in the 1st post.
Daniel Kaw

I'm Not So Good At Advice; Can I Interest You With A Sarcastic Comment?
New In The Forum! Please Read SgB Forum Rules First.